Saturday 16 April 2016

A Secret Hankering For Foreign Chips

Potato chips. Crunch. Crunch.  That savoury, salty, or otherwise flavoured deep fried wafer of potato.  Every country pretty much has their own local type of potato chip.  Here in Canada, there are plenty of varieties too, but I still like to try other chips from other countries.

First, lets start with Lays Canada.  They have been promoting regional flavours of chips, and asking for Canadians to vote for their favourite.  I actually liked their butter chicken and more recently, their wasabi ginger flavours.  The butter chicken was a pretty good approximation that hit the highlights of the seasoning for it (sans chicken of course), and the wasabi ginger really appealed to tastebuds familiar with wasabi and ginger.  The wasabi wasn't too strong though, which was good, and I bought a few bags to munch on before they vanished.
Butter Chicken and more
Wasabi Ginger.  It was a nice combination of Asian flavours.
Then there are chips from Japan.  They have plenty of strange flavours, but they can do a very nice potato chip when they want to.  They have every odd flavour you can think of from plain to sour plum or pepsi flavoured, but there are many tasty varieties in between.  Here are a few that I've tried.
One time I was in Tokyo at the right time and actually found these limited edition chips in a konbini.  They didn't taste like KFC, but there were some similiarities, and they were tasty.
This isn't actually Japanese, but it could have been.  Crispy battered strips of seaweed.  Quite tasty.
From left to right.  Here are prawn crackers, lobster bisque flavour, and lobster flavour.  They do like seafood flavours.  I found the lobster flavours okay, a little fishy, but okay.  The shrimp is usually pretty good from any asian country.
On of my favourites is on the left.  It is curry!  Tastes very much like a Japanese curry.  The pizza was kind of the generic tomato, cheese flavour, and the one on the right was one I have forgotten I even tried.
Last year I went to France and lo and behold, some very tasty French potato chips.  I was pretty busy eating normal French food while I was there, but I did pack some back as souvenirs.
Lays did an awesome roast chicken chip (actually had chicken in the seasoning).  From top left to bottom right.  Olive flavoured chips (quite good), cheese chips (so authentically cheesy and good), Soy chips (were okay - kind of salty if I remember right), the amazing roast chicken, ham, and chorizo were okay, but the chorizo were kind of like BBQ flavour.
I also like these Greek type snacks, and am fond of the oregano flavoured potato chips from that country.  I spent a bunch of time living there and still miss having a good gyro or roast lamb.
Pistachios, bagel crisps, jam filled croissants, and Tsakiris oregano chips!
I think I'll be having a few chips tonight after this post...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.