Saturday 23 January 2016

BB-8, Lego, and Japanese Toys at Xmas Like Yokai Watch

Christmas is always one of those really busy times of year.  Since I have a big family we went out shopping for toys for the many children after taking a second mortgage out on the house.  Plenty of toys, but I was surprised that there weren't as many Star Wars toys out as I expected with the big movie release of Star Wars The Force Awakens.  There were lots of Star Wars toys, but I guess I expected twice as much or something as Disney is usually a marketing genius about tie-ins.

I'm always interesting in seeing what kinds of Japanese toys there are and saw plenty for Yokai Watch.  Yokai Watch is the new Pokemon in Japan and they were trying to launch it here with the new DS game which I own and have to play.  I'm going to play through Pokemon Conquest first (which is a cool cross-over with the Japanese strategy game Nobunaga's Ambition from KOEI).  Nobunaga's Ambition was one of the games for the original Gameboy that I played in the early days of portable gaming.

Anyhow, onto the list of some of the toys I saw.
 I I got one of those Iphone/Android remote controlled BB-8s as a present and it was a pretty neat little robot.  The controls work great and it rolls on the hardwood floor real good.  It has a number neat little mannerisms and such programmed in, but it is too bad that all sound and stuff comes from your phone and not the robot itself.  But the robot does light up a bit and the head bobs around on it pretty good (attached by magnets).
Yokai Watch figures wit the blind bags of plastic discs.  You collect these figure or discs to put on your special Yokai collecting watch to get their sound effects and such.  There are hundreds of the little discs so I'm not going any where near this collectible.

I caught a bit of an episode of Yokai Watch in my hotel room one morning in Tokyo.  Seemed like an interesting little show with the Yokai (spirits) talking, unlike Pokemon where the critters don't really talk.  In Yokai Watch, you catch spirits who then help you / become friends as you complete quests and such.
The legendary Yokai Watch itself.  This sucker was sold out in Japan last year and there were lineups to get them.  I don't think it is quite as popular here yet.
Jibanyan, the main yokai that helps out the protagonist.
I like how these yokai look here.  Very neat appearance.
We bought one of these.  Dr. Who Tardis Lego set with Daleks!
I can't believe there is a Big Bang Theory Lego set.
And yeah!!! Godzilla.  The biggest baddest import from Japan.  Not as cuddly as a yokai.
I like the Lego Dimensions computer game tie-ins.  Very cool.
More Dr. Who and K-9.  That is too cool.
These little World of Nintendo Dioramas are cool.  I have to play through Zelda Windwalker again one of these days.
And of course there were still Pokemon toys.  Mario too in the upper left corner.
Another Windwalker diorama section.  That boat was fun.
These Lego sets are expensive, but who doesn't like the Millenium Falcon.  I can't believe the original version of this set years ago was even more complex and goes for even more on eBay.

That's all for now.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.