Sunday 17 August 2014

The Giant Summer Fun in Edmonton Post

Summer is short in Canada, but what we get is very nice, and the heat can get into the metric 30s on many days.  Summer is for relaxing and enjoying fresh fruit from British Columbia, food festivals, patios, and farmers markets.

I've been working on the plot outline for the conclusion to the current Exocrisis Blue story arc, the sequel to Neo Ace, but I want it to be really good, so I'm taking my time.  It'll be a year before it gets released if I'm able to work on it lots, but longer if I'm not able to.  The promotions I ran in July gave away a few hundred ebooks, but only sold a dozen or so ebooks.  I did sell copies of Neo Ace, which I'm happy about, so thanks to my fans, and I hoped you enjoyed the read.  I probably will not do freebie promotions to give away Neo Ace as it just would probably just get pirated like my two other ebooks.  The pirate can at least buy one first.

So, onto some summer highlights from Edmonton, Canada.

Taste of Edmonton
This is a great food festival that runs at the same time as K-Days.  It features dozens of Edmontons restaurants and food trucks.  I also did a fun blog post about Edmonton Attractions here if you want to know more.  I managed to eat a pretty good lunch that day down at Churchill Square.  I'm just kicking myself that I didn't take more food pictures as I ate some of the curry dishes and such before I remembered to shoot photos.  Stomach triumphs over brain....

The layout of Taste of Edmonton and a restaurant listing.
Lots of propane tanks for cooking and grilling.
Pampa Brazilian Steakhouse.  One of the best values there.  Garlic rump steak and bacon wrapped chicken.  YUM.
Woodfired mini-pizza with proscuitto from Canicus.  Just awesome fresh from the oven.
Bacon wrapped scallops and corn salsa from the Mercer Tavern
Deep fried pickles.
Grilling quail at the Hoang Long. 
Another great value for your money.  Tasty and juicy quail that you can also get with pomegranate sausce.

On Another Hot Summer Day

You have to have an icy frappucino from Starbucks too to cool down, just don't have too many.
Gourmet burgers and summer menu at Red Robin
I tried the Colosus Burger with fresh greens and the big patty and it was pretty good.

Man Colours For Interior Decorating
I was at a Home Depot and found this in the paint section.
Its great the paint manufucturer is having fun and targeting a new consumer.  Being cool and in the navy.
For the apocalypse.  There were many more colors and themes.  Just need to find one for my bunker.

Fried Chicken at Coco Chicken
The fried chicken here is pretty good, but it the coating / marinade could be more flavourful (I think the hot / sweet sauce they have is really the main feature, not the plain chicken).  It is kind of like Japanese karaage, but with bigger pieces of chicken and a big crunch. 



Tim Hortons
They have some very nice summer doughnut and muffins going on right now featuring strawberry.  Have a Timmy's and a doughnut!



Farmers Market
Summer is the time to shop for farm fresh produce and fruit.  Edmonton has a number of markets running every weekend.  I'll have to go either berry or strawberry picking one of these days too!
All Canadian berry mixed berries.

BC Peaches
Carrots!
Get your greens.  Chard is great in soups.
And Taber corn is in season now.  Alberta's tastiest corn you can eat with just a little boiling.  No butter needed as it is nice a sweet.

Korean Supermarket Adventure
There's a few of these in south Edmonton and they have all kinds of food and goodies.  If you're interested in Japanese instant ramen and snacks, check out my Japanese Pop Culture page.
Interesting canned vegetables, including burdock root.  I was alway digging those things up in the swamp when I played that video game Lost in Blue on the DS.
Lots of different canned fish.
I'm not sure I'm too keen on trying this canned good.
The Ramen Rater indicated these were pretty good with the cheese powder.  I've heard of adding cheese to ramen, so I thought I'd give it a try...


Animathon
Another anime convention in Edmonton has come and gone. Another year passes.


More Scifi Topics

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.