Saturday 5 January 2013

Review of Germline (The Subterrene War)

Mini-review #5
This is the fifth of a series of short reviews for military SF and mecha SF.  You will not see a review of something I don't like as it isn't worth writing about in that case, but I will tell you what works for me and what doesn't about the stories I did like.  When I was writing my Exocrisis Blue stories and trying to find places to post about it or reviews of other mecha SF I was unable to find any, so I'm creating my own hub. Now onto the review.  For the master list of reviews, click here.

 Germline is the first of three novels in the Subterrene War universe by T.C. McCarthy.  I have to say the writer managed to capture a very gritty picture about future combat both underground and above ground.  The below ground war scenes were quite interesting as there is some pretty advanced tunneling technology where trench warfare is taken under the earth.  In addition, I really like the way he incorporated clones or the genetics into the story.  
Flickr / dee_gee
Most of the story is centered around Oscar Wendall, a report who sees going to the front lines as his ticket to success.  Instead, he becomes involved in a brutal war that changes him when it goes on and on, an everlasting battle over rare resources buried underground in Kazakhstan.  The USA uses genetics, female super soldiers, to fight the Russians who throw men away by the thousands it seems.  Why female super soldiers? - That is well explained too!  The genetics are also powerful disposable tools and the war seems to be one of attrition.  The series is centered around Oscar's relationship with these genetic soldiers, their goals and religion, how they have been programmed, and I found that this is kept my attention all the way through. This book was well worth reading.

Does it have a cast of characters listing? 
No.  

What is the scope / scale of the story? 
Small unit and battalion level operations.  There is a grand campaign but it is more back story.

Does it have likeable characters?
Yes.  Oscar has an interesting journey of discovery and pulls out of the pits of despair.

Does it have an entertaining storyline?
Yes.  Combat, female super soldiers, drugs, and a war that doesn't end.

How is the internal consistency / plausibility?
The technology used includes electromagnetic assault rifles called Maxwells that fire thousands of rounds (where do I get one?), plasma cannon and artillery, supersonic drones, and it was nicely done.  Soldiers are suited up in battle armour but you half wonder why they wear it as it seems to not be resistant to most weapons. The world described is that of the battlefield and the writer does a good job of it.  Later on, the story expands out into the rest of the world and I don't think it works quite as well, but I'm reading the third novel now so it can't be that bad!

What cool bonus features are there? 
The genetics are cool and I found myself rooting for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.